March 19, 1904
Dr. Antonio Jose Uribe, in agreement with Brother Visitor of the Christian Schools Brothers, opened the Central School of Arts and trades in Bogota. The following year, government decree No. 146 was issued which was reorganized and established the School Curriculum with specializations in Mechanical, Foundry, Welding, Boiler, Joinery, Shoemaking, carving, Modeling and Manufacturing of Fabrics. The purpose of the founders was to create an institution of higher education technology, which meets the needs of technical and technological training suitable to stimulate the country's industrialization in the early twentieth century. The same as FRENCH ARTS AND TRADES SCHOOLS, the curricular structure was adopted, which it included cultural, educational and research activities, and technology divulgation.
The technical institution necessity, as well as vocational training, it should produce studies and applied research to serve as support the industrial development, appeared in 1910 with Law 32, which ordered providing modern machinery to the School workshops and implementing studies plan that included four years of high school and four years of Higher Technological education.
November 24, 1916
The President José Vicente Concha, issued government decree 2006 "which it awarded to the Central School of Arts and Trades, the permission to grant certain titles." It was about giving to students who have successfully completed it all subjects relating to the theoretical and practical Engineering degree, in Electrical and Mechanical Arts, in Electricity and Textile factories and Decorative and Industrial Arts. The first five industrial engineers in these specialties were graduates by Dr. Emilio Ferrero, Minister of Public Instruction in 1916.
Government decree 721 of April 4, 1919, issued by the President Marco Fidel Suarez it ordered that Central School of Arts and Trades subsequently was called INSTITUTO TÉCNICO CENTRAL.
The INSTITUTO TÉCNICO CENTRAL graduated approximately 150 engineers who organized the ITC Engineers Society moreover they were the managers of large and small industrial projects throughout the country at that time. In that time, the Investigation made by teachers and students are published in the ITC magazine and degree projects are kept in the National University files.
1931 was a significant changes year in the history of the institution. In fact, Governmet decree 2219 of December 18, the national government merged The Instituto Técnico Central with the National University engineering faculty. The Brothers were expelled from ITC. Anyhow, The institution continued training technicians in different industrial areas.
Between 1932 and 1951
The institution is run by laic rectors. In this period it changes name several times, denominating Escuela de Artes Manuales, Escuela Industrial and Instituto Técnico Superior; new workshops were built and supplied (casting, engines, metalwork, etc). A strong and solid relationship with industry was established and there were native and foreign teachers with high academic standards. The graduates founded SOCOTEIN (Sociedad Colombiana de Técnicos Industriales).
The President Laureano Gomez by Government decree 0971, got the brothers back the ITC management ; when they took over the institution leadership again, they made the industry great youth training center. In the fifties, was born in Colombia, the Industrial Technical High School.
The national Government through Decree 2433 of September 11, 1959, modified the studies plan for industrial and commercial education. This way, a five years schooling was implemented, where at the end of this one, the student got a title of "expert", and two more years they obtained the "Technical Bachelors" title. The first class was graduated in 1961.
By Government decree 2809 of March 31, ITC was authorized to offer Intermediate careers (Mechanical Industrial Teaching, Industrial Electricity Teaching, Design and Construction Industrial Teaching, Electromechanical studies and practices, Industrial Processes and Design and Construction of Machines and Tools), in order to recover the old tradition of early 20th century to impart Postsecondary Education.
The Instituto Técnico Central became Higher Education Unit of the National Education Ministry.
By Government decree 2859 of November 26, 1984 the ITC building was declared a National Monument.
By Government decree 758 of April 26 April the Instituto Técnico Central was declared HIGHER EDUCATION PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENT with legal capacity, its own patrimony and administrative autonomy under the of National Education Ministry.
By Government decree 1522 of September 12, 1995 the National government approved the 025 Agreement of June 21 of the same year, the School Board established the Instituto Técnico Central Organic Structure.
The National Education Ministry, by Resolution No. 7772 of December 1, 2006, changes the academic nature of the Instituto Técnico Central. From Professional Technical Institution to Technological School or University Institution. The Colombian government awards it a new status position as the first Technological Public School, giving permission again of graduating engineers as the first time. This feature allows ITC to offer Professional Technical, Technologist and Engineer programs.
By Resolution 130 of January 18, from National Education Ministry, the ITC got qualified permit for Industrial Process Engineering Program. Subsequently, it got other qualified permits regarding offer other Engineering and Technology programs, to raise this way the new education offering. The Instituto Técnico Central gets great challenges about human talent development guided mainly to the Innovation and Technological Development of Colombia and it´s prepared for playing an outstanding role in the Innovation Technology and Science National System and the knowledge Society.